Starting a dairy business

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Who needs a licence?
  • All dairy farmers who sell their milk (or supply it to their own factory) need a licence.
  • Anyone who makes bottled milk or makes dairy products, including yoghurt, cheese, butter, ice cream, powdered dairy products, and other products with a dairy component of greater than 50%.  This includes people who want to make small amounts of dairy products to sell at their local markets or exchange for other goods.
  • Vendors who carry or sell market milk (which includes packaged milk, cream and other dairy products).
There are some circumstances where you will not require a licence to make dairy products. 

If you are uncertain whether you need a licence, please contact us​ to discuss your business, as you may be in breach of the Dairy Industry Act 1994 if you continue to manufacture.​

In this Topic

  • Farmers
    How to apply for a Tasmanian dairy farmer licence.
  • Factories
    How to apply for a dairy manufacturing or dairy processing business licence.
  • Vendors
    What is a dairy vendor, and how are they licensed?


Tasmanian Dairy Industry Authority
PO Box 303
Devonport TAS 7310
Phone: 03 6478 4100
Fax: 03 6441 5900